XForms and Google Maps

From: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 00:54:56 +0100
To: <www-forms@w3.org>

Hello everyone,

If you're pondering the issues around how features implemented in script can
be encapsulated, and then reflected in mark-up, my latest blog might be of
interest. It continues the Ajax discussion, and follows on from my
examination of Google Suggest to look at Google Maps:

  XForms Patterns: Dynamic URLs and Google Maps

<http://internet-apps.blogspot.com/2005/05/xforms-patterns-dynamic-urls-and.
html>

(I knew that 'Google Maps' is the application that everyone was secretly
thinking about in the discussion on Ajax, so I thought I'd best show how at
least part of it could be implemented in XForms.)

The blog makes use of a new feature in XForms 1.1, which is to allow URLs to
be rendered as objects (such as images) by using @mediatype. For example:

  <xf:output ref="uri" mediatype="image/*" />

With nothing more than this feature and a xf:repeat or two, we can navigate
around the Google Maps tiles, zoom in and out, and so on. You can view the
source code on the blog, or use the formsPlayer 2 preview to experiment,
since it supports much of XForms 1.1.

I believe this demo again shows the benefit of XForms over script, and I
hope at some point soon to use this as the foundation for some other demos.

Regards,

Mark

Mark Birbeck
CEO