Re: Is or isn't scripting needed, was RE: XForms vs. Web Forms

"Robin Berjon" <robin.berjon@expway.fr> wrote in message
> (especially given how buggy IE's implementation of Ecmascript is).

JScript has one major bug - (0.07).toFixed(1), other than that, it's
extremely good and conformant. (especially as it's actually quite hard to
have conformance problems in ES).  You certainly can't call it buggy.

> On the other hand I think one could get 80%ish compliance (or perhaps in
> fact more) with WF2 by hacking through a rainy week-end.

Almost certainly not, some things are impossible, some things are in effect
impossible simply because of them not-scaling to normal sized documents (and
this includes things like the repeat model, which currently requires
iterating over every element in the document before the load even fires,
completely impractical)  If it was true, it shows how completely irrelevant
these enhancements are, if it's 2 days of scripting to get them to work in
IE, we certainly don't need the new features, they're obviously bog standard
things we have already.

>> I'm sorry, but the more I hear about WF2 the less I like it.
>
> Have you read it? I remember seeing an early draft back when XForms was
> being voted on and not thinking much good about it, but in its current
> state I find that it is a high-quality specification that does a large
> part of what people want.

Very few of the issues raised on the list have been addressed, especially
important ones where the fact it doesn't fall back in legacy browsers have
gone completely ignored, whilst some things are well specified, they're not
implementable within the constraints given (in script/behaviours in IE) and
the Working Group consists of one person who's obviously beginning to
struggle to keep up and actually get a call for implementations any time
soon.

> But I'm starting to get sick and tired of seeing good people that share
> the same fundamental goals and good intentions waste time bickering about
> competing specs while the RAND and proprietary scourge takes over the
> world, or prepares to.

The reason we have competing specs I think, is that most people don't
actually want any of this stuff, we don't _need_ a new forms model, we can
rub along fine with what we've got, especially when declaritive languages
are so much harder to understand than scripting ones for most web
application developers.

> We've got on one side XForms, which is cool, good in many ways, but that a
> non-neglible part of our community rejects and on the other WF2 which has
> fewer features but has support from said non-negligible part of this one
> same community.

I've seen very, very little support for either WF2 or XForms from developers
anywhere, we don't need either forms technology, spending time on either of
them inside the current user agents just seems a waste of precious
developers time.  Plug-ins are different, I have much more support of doing
it in these, they're done by different companies, producing added-value for
their customers, they're customers aren't web-developers though, they have
different needs, and can address different needs.  Here XForms has much more
value than WF2, but I'm still not completely sure either groups have really
captured use cases from web-developers - WF2 has yet to publish a single use
case for example.

Jim.