Re: XForms Myths Exposed - By Ian Hixie (Opera)

I want to see a spec for X-forms that's complete enough that 99% of
tasks can be performed WITHOUT script, since it seems unlikely that any Xforms engine in the future
will possibly be able to make sense of all the script that could end up as part of an x-form. by that I
mean that a browser based implementation of xforms is unlikely to read and understand script
targeted at an open office document for example, or some other-modal variety of renderer.
if this isnt the case then the second you use script you are no longer x-platform compatible. even
relying on css (which lots of xforms I have seen seem to do) will only work in css capable browsers,
so the embedding of an Xform inside something like Xhtml will only get you as far as Xhtml
compatibility at best. so If you want a truly x-platform x-modal xform (this gets a bit weird since i
understand here that the x-form itself is wrapped up in other markup) you need to embed it in some
non-specific xml wrapper and then alter the wrapper depending on target platform(with xslt or
something presumably). wouldn't it have been better to just bundle up an xform as a discrete unit the
could reliably be sent to any device, independent of the wrapper you choose to surround it in? after i
don't think there is any guarantee that just because some device can render an x-form that it can also
read xhtml? so there is always a chance that the behavior of such a device could be to just ignore any
markup it didn't understand, including anything inside it. this is pure specultaion but I hope you see
where I'm going with it.

Cheers
Jason.