calculator uses tables for layout, a highly inaccessible way of presenting an interface [was: Re: XForms Myths Exposed - By Ian Hixie (Opera)]

From: Mike Kienenberger <mkienenb@alaska.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 13:14:01 -0500
To: www-forms@w3.org

Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> (Take the recent XForms calculator as an example. It uses tables for
> layout, a highly inaccessible way of presenting an interface.)

I'm really new to XForms, and I have to admit that I'm back to stuffing
everything in tables.

I started out with raw XForms, but when I rendered it, it was pretty bad.
(This is using FormsPlayer, but it didn't appear much different in any other
browser I tried).

I'm a programmer, so I've spent about 5 minutes total on css, and that from
a book from 1998, but when I asked our html guy about it, he said that css
support wasn't predictable enough to do it other than with tables.

Are there examples out there of the "proper" way to use CSS to do layout?
And is it consistently available in browsers?

-Mike