Re: Xforms submissions can rarely be reloaded, can this be fixed?

Hi Jason,

Jason Eacott ha scritto:
> thank you.
> 	yes I do mean that parts definitely arent submitted because relevant is false on them (I am using Chiba here).
> this seems to be correct given this entry
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-xforms-20031014/slice6.html#model-prop-relevant
>
> and means that you could be throwing away good data just because you dont want to display it. just because its not relevant for a user to see
> doesn't mean the data should be dumped, it may become relevant later (much later, after multiple rounds of reloading!), and it may have been data
> that they originally entered.
> and because switch is not as dynamic as it should be there is often no choice but to use relevant to control the ui.

I think I now understand better what your goal is, sounds like some copying of nodes (or their values) to some other instance or part of the instance or some other means of marking them up as temporarily-non-relevant (like, getting them out of the range of nodes addressed by the controls' bindings) would better suit it.

> but what I read into the references you mention is that I should be able to reload this submission regardless of missing parts during the same form
> session and the  missing parts SHOULD be regenerated using any bind elements as a reference.

Yes, I had misunderstood your requirement with the perhaps more general case in which someone gets an instance of an XML doc, discards some parts of it, sends it back but then wants to have means to fill up those parts with new data next time.

> in this case I think Chiba is  broken here. (I have gotten around it given a known schema by reprocessing the instance with xsl & replacing the
> missing nodes & attributes manually on request - but this sux IMHO)
> Its submission is correct but its reloading does not seem to try to recreate missing nodes, but rather just throws xpath exceptions.
>
> I like that I can control what is actually being submitted by using a relevant property, but it means that using the UI has side effects in the instance.
> there should be another switch, or separate instance-relevant property to indicate whether you intended the relevant to be ONLY for the ui or that it
> should result in culling data from the instance.

This sounds like an interesting use case, maybe (I have no authority to say that and I am not involved in the process in any way, I am just guessing) if you provide a more detailed explanation of it the WG could consider it when establishing future requirements for XForms. Nonetheless I think it can be solved in pure XForms 1.0 as mentioned above.

Thanks for the clarification, ciao
ste