From: www-forms-request@w3.org [mailto:www-forms-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Erik Bruchez
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 9:10 PM
To: www-forms@w3.org
Subject: [Fwd: Re: XForms: Question about tax form example]

Hi all,

I was fairly firm in my belief that xforms:label must be within a
control, but apparently some think otherwise, and implementations appear
to allow randomly placed xforms:label elements.

It seemed to me that the idea behind xforms:label was to be a label for
a specific control, not just a generic mechanism to display a label,
this based on the following text from the spec:

"8.3.3 The label Element - This required element labels the *containing
form control* with a descriptive label."

Whatever the spec actually says, I don't really see the benefit of using
xforms:label outside of a control. You can use xhtml:label instead, or
just some other constructs from the host language.

Then what about xhtml:hint, xhtml:help, and xhtml:alert? Can they also
be used outside of controls?

Can anybody shed some light on this question? See below the relevant
message from netscape.public.mozilla.xml.

-Erik