RE: [Fwd: Re: XForms: Question about tax form example]

Hi Erik,

I think you are right.

The *intention* of xf:label -- as you say -- was to provide a label *for*
something. Although this means that xf:label could be extended to other
elements (as it has been to xf:group, and could even be to xh2:section, for
example), it doesn't change the fact that it is something that is applied to
its parent. It therefore doesn't mean anything to allow it to be liberally
sprinkled across a document. Worse than that, it would not technically be an
XForms document, since it does not match the schema -- regardless of whether
it works or not.

Authors who want to render some text in a 'host-language--independent' way,
can use the following syntax:

  <xf:output value="'Hello, mum!'" />

This means that your XForms mark-up could be placed unchanged into an host
language.

Mark Birbeck
CEO
x-port.net Ltd.