Re: [whatwg] showModalDialog

From: Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen <hallvord@hallvord.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 14:07:31 +0200
To: Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen <hallvord@hallvord.com>, Karl Pongratz <karlhp@karlhp.com>
CC: Sanghyeon Seo <sanxiyn@gmail.com>, whatwg@whatwg.org, www-forms@w3.org

On 1 Jul 2005 at 13:27, Karl Pongratz wrote:

> >click "edit" in my fancy address book application, a modal window pops
> >up, I want to go to the tab where my E-mail lives to copy the address I
> >wanted to put in my address book and ... ouch, can't get to the E-mail
> >because I use an integrated browser/mail client application and the modal
> >dialog blocks access to all the tabs.

> If you want to copy an email address you will have a problem with any web
> app I think, traditional and Ajax based once.

Perhaps you misunderstood that? I as a user expect to be able to
switch between tabs to copy and paste information between different
pages. A modal dialog breaks that.

> If you want to do that in a
> nice way you may need to use at least chromeless windows, yet you could
> use modal windows from the already opened chromeless windows, then you can
> access your main page even if a modal window is active.

I see, you expect your app to live in a window of its own and not in
a tab. Only to get rid of browser UI like back button and address
bar?
LOL, I'm your web app's user from hell, I routinely duplicate windows
to go back in history and see what I wrote and if I use IE and you
open a poup without address bar I view properties and copy the
address just to get my normal UI back. I know it is hard to keep up
with such behaviour from the backend, but I expect your app to
manage.

Is it possible to keep the two discussions chromeless windows and
modal dialogs separate, please?
--
Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen
http://www.hallvord.com/