bind('id') proposal

From: Peter Nunn <peter.nunn@vistic-sw.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:32:19 +1200
To: www-forms@w3.org

I don't know if this has been proposed before, but from practial use of
xforms it would be really usefull to be able to treat a nodeset that is
referenced in a bind inside an xpath.
At present there is an xpath extension function for instance('IDREF')
which returns a node that is an instance node.  It strikes me that it is
equally valid to refer to another extension function:

bind('IDREF') which returns a single node or nodeset. (nodset[0] where a
single-node is needed inside an xpath).

Would dramatically reduce the complexity of setvalue where the
value=xpath must expand the binds.

eg:

                <xforms:setvalue bind="issueEquipmentRequestAddressNumber"

 value="instance('instLookupClientResponse')//LES:ClientAddress/@Number" />

where there is a bind:

                    <xforms:bind id="lookupClientClientAddressNumber"
nodeset="instance('instLookupClientResponse')//LES:ClientAddress/@Number" />

would allow the use of:

                <xforms:setvalue
bind="issueEquipmentRequestAddressNumber"
value="bind('lookupClientClientAddressNumber')" />

makes maintaing the code much easier as well!

regards