Re: XForms and Ajax

From: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 07:54:13 +0200
To: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
CC: www-forms@w3.org

Mark Birbeck wrote:
> If you are following the various discussions on Ajax (can you avoid them!)
> then you might be interested in a blog I've written on why XForms is better:
>
>   Ajax, Hard Facts, Brass Tacks ... and Bad Slacks
>
>   "[A]s many have said ... XMLHttpRequest is not a newly devised technique,
>   but rather a generally accepted replacement for a very old technique. But
>   ultimately that technique is a workaround since the real problem is ...
>   HTML forms."
>

> <http://internet-apps.blogspot.com/2005/04/ajax-hard-facts-brass-tacks-and-b
> ad.html>
>
> A follow-up blog will show how to do Google Suggest with XForms.

The huge advantage of XMLHttpRequest is of course that it works today.
If XForms was natively implemented among XHTML in some IE version some
people might use it (a lot of companies have trouble generating
well-formed XML). However, it is not and it will probably take a very
long time before it is implemented.

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>