RE: Generation of Xforms HTML web page using a XML Schema Definition

Firstly, thank you all for your responses to my question.  I have a lot of
research to do. ;--) However, I thought that I would answer Dharmesh's
question first because I have a very good practical use for my scenario as
follows:

I am involved with the validation, editing, searching an viewing of metadata
(data about data).  We currently use the Australian New Zealand Land
Information Council's (ANZLIC) metadata guidelines for spatial metadata.  We
have developed an extensible Document Type Definition (DTD) for these
metadata guidelines so that we can validate the XML document instances of
metadata.

Some users/organisations of the DTD have used its extensibility to add other
elements and attributes to suit their business needs.  Fortunately, these
extended DTDs are made public and are available on the WWW so when I validate
the document instances of these extended DTDs I can lookup the DTD from the
URI in the DOCTYPE definition.  I then download the DTD and validate against
that DTD.  I process about 38,000 records so automation is very important.

The problem is that the Australian Metadata Community would like a generic
online metadata management tool.  That is,  an online tool that allows the
creation, modification and validation of XML document instances of their
metadata records.  If we were using just on DTD then I could write an XSLT
that generates an HTML forms page according to that one DTD.  However, there
may be multitudes of DTDs according to the needs of each organisation.

This is why I would like some software that generates an HTML form or Xform
by reading the DTD.  This would allow a user to either enter the URL of their
DTD or allow a script to read the DTD from an XML document instance, and then
an HTML forms web page could be generated that suites their needs.  If they
were to enter an XML document instance then the content of the element could
be loaded into the HTML forms fields and the can edit to their hearts
content.  Once the edited content is submitted then an XML document instance
can be generated and validated against it's DTD.

This problem is further frustrated by the adoption of the ISO 19115 Metadata
Standards.  A W3C XML Schema is being developed for the 19115 standard and
would be a great starting point for any organisation to adopt. However, it is
likely that the XSD will be extended to suite an organisations needs.  Again
there is a need for an HTML forms web page to be generated from the XSD as
long as the XSD is available from it's URI.  If not then someone, like me,
will have to locate the XSD and generate something like and Oasis catalogue
file that refers to a local copy of the XSD once I have found it.

There is a great need for this type of functionality in the Australian
Metadata community.  I'm *very* surprised if someone else hasn't already come
up with a similar problem.

Thanks for your time.

John