RE: DENG Modular X-Browser distributed under GPL

> Now that DENG is open source, open option for moving forward
> and leveraging more community effort would be to port Deng
> to a different SWF front-end. Ming might be powerful enough
> to do this, or perhaps someone has built a good python or
> similar front end for it.
> http://ming.sourceforge.net/

leigh, what exactly do you want to achieve? serverside swf generation? there
are pro and cons doing that, and deng v2 should work both ways, server- and
clientside. the main task would be to write an opensource actionscript
compiler:

> Does anyone know of any non-propritary Flash compilers
> (from *.as -> *.swf) or have any experience compiling DENG
> with one?

micah, in the côdeazur labs we are currently brainstorming about such a
compiler amongst other complementing things. key advantage will be the
possibility of using different languages and automatic speed optimization
using pattern recognition algorithms.

there are already other solutions out there like ming, and there's
kineticfusion [1], a product well worth taking a look at. it's a freeware
java xml-to-swf-and-back converter.

macromedias j2ee based flex (formerly royale) [2] actually does exactly that
(and more), just that they use some proprietary markup (mxml, direct mapping
of elements to the underlying component framework like microsoft
xaml/avalon), and it's a commercial product of course. anyways, it's
namespace aware and quite open otherwise.

> Also, Klaus -- you may want to take some time in building
> a downloadable tarball and release it under the sourceforge
> release system, this is a bit of work using the Web interface,
> but the advantage is that you'll be able to count downloads
> etc.

yeah i know i know.. we just started, please gimme a couple of days and i'll
set up the sourceforge site properly. there already are two deng
mailinglists [3] up at sourceforge, btw (dengmx-developers and dengmx-talk).
cheers,
claus.
codeazur.com

[1] http://kinesissoftware.com/products.html