Re: XForms Links, Links, Links - Free Books And Much More

Hello Gary,

Sikora, Gary wrote:

> Gerald,
>
> I disagree with classifying FormsPlayer as a "Closed Project", why do
> we have to throw negative cogitation. Some efforts require revenue to
> develop a fully functional, quality product. Garage developed
> products for the most part have not shown life-cycles in which
> enterprises are willing to rely their success on - a System
> Engineering risk mitigation process outcome.
just cause you mention Chiba ...

the project has more than 3,5 years lifetime now. more than many
companies exist ;)

Open Source doesn't mean professional backup, support and even funding.
without the help of sponsors that financed the work it would never have
evolved that far.

> You can't even say that
> FormsPlayer is proprietary because it uses an open standard, XForms.
> If you want to be fair you can say "Licensed", it doesn't try to
> influence the audience. Some solutions are free and others are not
> ... both are good and have their place on this planet.
agree with you - both have their place.

> I think it also needs to be made clear within this forum what these
> various solutions provide, not just what percentage of the XForms
> specification, but where they are executed, client or server-side. In
> the past we have heard that solutions like Chiba and FormFaces are
> "server-side" solutions and Deng and FormsPlayer are "client-side"
> solutions ... this is not good enough for the "server-side" solution
> categorization. Chiba interprets the XForms document and processes
> the bindings server-side. This means server round-trips are required
> for validation, relevance, etc. ... drastically inhibiting the user's
> experience, much worst than JavaScript applications we experience
> today. On the other hand, FormFaces interprets the XForms document
> server-side and processes the bindings client-side providing a user
> experience close to that of an application. Chiba is free and
> FormFaces is available via license ... there is a reason.

happy to have an occasion to clarify a common misunderstanding about Chiba:

it is true that Chiba evolved and still evolves as a typical server-side
web-appication and delivers un-scripted html output to the client in its
standard distribution *but*...

- the webapp part of Chiba is meant/considered (and always was) only a
sample integration of the actual XForms processor sitting inside of it.
The processor itself is done in Java and therefore can be integrated in
a wide variety of environments including client-side. Actually an applet
integration of Chiba (called 'Convex') running inside a browser is
already running and will be released soon.

- Open Source doesn't mean there's no professional support. Chibacon was
founded by both project admins to exactly provide this support and offer
integration services and sure to further sponsor and evolve the project.

- and sure Open Source doesn't mean 'without license'. There's a license
but it is free and open.

- there's room enough for many XForms solutions. After working all this
time with XForms my belief in it has even grown. The Spec authors have
gathered some wonderfull ideas with more being on the way and there will
be still much research work left for many developers to bring it to its
full potential.

 From my view Open Source and commercial offerings are not at all
contradictory nor does neither say anything about the delivered quality
(i've seen projects with a lot of commercial backing still delivering
bad software).

Don't get this wrong: i don't want to promote Chiba against FormFaces
but think we should althoghter build better XForms solutions so that the
technology itself may become a success - in favor of really proprietary
(cause non-standard) solutions like InfoPath and Adobe XDF.

with full respect for your work,

Joern Turner
- Chiba Project Admin -