RE: W3C XForms vs Alternative XML UI Language Formats

From: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 21:48:17 +0100
To: "'Gerald Bauer'" <luxorxul@yahoo.ca>
Cc: <tvraman@almaden.ibm.com>, <www-forms@w3.org>

Gerald,

You are spot on that XForms has within it an "XML UI language". As it
happens, it's one of the only languages in your list that can truly claim
that; most of the others are "XML GUI languages" or "XML widget languages"
since they deal in the main with presentation to the user in a way that is
strongly bound to desktops in a windowing environment.

But just to clarify, Raman's point about XForms being "an architecture" was
to emphasise that XForms' real power comes from its model - what sometimes
gets called 'the engine'. Specifying GUI (or widget) languages is not
exactly difficult, but defining a 'spreadsheet'-style calculation engine,
that fires events to the front-end and maintains CSS state, allows for XML
data manipulation such as submission and validation, and all without
scripting - now that's a "user interface language".

Best regards,

Mark

PS Keep up the excellent work - the "XUL Challenge" is a great initiative
(and I'm quite enjoying it!).

Mark Birbeck
CEO and CTO
x-port.net Ltd.