Instances, Models and <bind>

From: Robert Bateman <bobbateman@sequoiallc.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 13:17:00 -0500
To: <www-forms@w3.org>

In looking at a bunch of examples from around the web, I've noticed people
seem to have implemented the 1 instance per model method in their forms.

Not being all that comfortable - yet - with Xforms, my "test" form has 3
instances inside of one model.  Seeing how crowded this has made my form, I'm
attempting to break things up a bit.  But I've run into a bit of a
confusion...

I have 3 instances:  xmlData, scratchPad and guiData.  xmlData will,
eventually, be sent off to the server for processing.  But some fields in
xmlData require lists and other selectable data that is stored (and
referenced) from the scratchPad instance.  And some fields, especially the
ones that are "optional" are stored in the guiData instance with xmlData
using <relevant> to control inclusion of the specific data.

Now to the "problem".  If I put the guiData instance into a seperate model I
start to get syntax errors in my form.  So I have to assume my <input>,
<output>, etc. items need to have @model specified.  So far so good.

But as I look at my <bind> definitions, I find many of the binds reference
datum in other models.  Does it matter in Xforms if I have a <bind> in one
model that references instance data in a different model?

Bob