Re: How secure is XForms?

From: ??????? ?. ??????? (Christos E. Sioulis) <CSioulis@dsa.gr>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 00:32:31 +0300
To: AndrewWatt2001@aol.com, www-forms@w3.org
Cc: XForms@yahoogroups.com

In my point of view, the most important 'issue of security' using XForms
technology in real transactions, is (apart of the origin and integrity
of the relative browser plug-in) "how secure is the instance data" that
is collected and transmitted by the ‘XForm User Interface’ and ‘XForm
Submit Protocol’ units respectively!

Having in mind that XForms could be a nice instrument to serve quotidian
legal transactions (i.e. filling predefined application/order web forms
with needed data, or filling a 'tax declaration' in a web based
'official document’,-and in many other e-government applications, etc),
the next step for your nice work, IMO, it should be the liaison with the
XML-Signature (XadES) WG, with the goal to provide a standard method on
how the provided ‘XML instance data’ can be digitally signed (providing
data authenticity, integrity, and/or non repudiation) by its author.
(-Have you seen the new Adobe Acrobat 6.0 digital signing features
combined with Adobe Forms?)

I have already mentioned this issue in this mailing list (about 1 year
ago!) and the answer was that it maybe would make part of a future
development of XForms.
(-Andrew, do you feel that this time has come?)  :-)

Christos Sioulis
(Athens Lawyer)