Relation between XForms and schemas

From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 11:33:07 +0100
To: www-forms@w3.org

Hi,

I am convinced that the decoupling between the form and the schema is a
good thing, however, when you start from scratch and need to produce
both a schema and a form, it's tempting to derive them from a common
source.

The dominant approach seems then to use the schema (eventually
annotated) as a source and derive the form from that. It's the approach
take, for instance, by the Chiba project.

As noted [1] on this list, it is not necessary the best approach for
large applications with complex forms.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-forms/2003Feb/0014.html

I have no concrete experience on the subject yet, but I'd guess that
when the form is complex, that its layout needs to be similar to
existing documents and that the format of the resulting document is
created from scratch, it's probably easier to use either the form or an
intermediate format as the source and to generate the schema.

Are there some experience and tools available using this approach?

Thanks,

Eric
--
Tired to type XML tags?