From: Dan G. Switzer, II [mailto:dswitzer@oar.net]
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2003 1:53 PM
To: www-forms@w3.org
Subject: RE: Question

Does anyone know of a company working on a server-side model to convert
XForms docs to Flash? It would seem one of the quickest methods to get the
populous to adopt XForms would be to leverage the technologies that are
already out there.

While I've written a JS-based API that works w/NS3+ that handles a lot of
the backbone of what an HTML/JS translation of an XForm document looks like,
there are still some issues that you have w/traditional HTML elements that
interfere w/the implementation of XForms.

It would seem to me, a server-side solution that converted XForms to a
standalone SWF file would be a really solid way to get the community to
adopt the standard in their development.

I think I remember someone mentioning they were writing an XForms parser in
Flash--but I think a generating the SWF on the fly would be more efficient
for users w/slow PCs. You'd also be able to cache the SWF files, so it's not
like you'd have to regenerate them everytime.

Any opinions/comments?

-Dan