XForms Spec. Terminology: "Instance markup"

From: <AndrewWatt2001@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 07:53:29 EDT
To: www-forms-editor@w3.org
CC: XForms@yahoogroups.com, www-forms@w3.org

The CR of the XForms specification contained ambiguities and imprecision with
respect to how it expressed the notions of instance, instance data etc.

I suggest that it might be useful to add a term "instance markup" in the
relevant descriptions, to assist in differentiating the original instance
information contained in markup from the in-memory copy of that information
which is/was termed "instance data".

It seems to me that authors of XForms-containing documents will require a
clear understanding of what an XForms processor is doing. The suggested
terminology may help the next version of the specification express the
various notions related to instance* more clearly.

Andrew Watt