Repetition attributes

From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 14:40:56 -0700
To: www-forms <www-forms@w3.org>

I think that the xforms:repeat-* attributes can be removed without loss
of functionality. The reason they exist is said to be:

> A host language can include these attributes in the appropriate places to enable repeating constructs. For example, a version of XHTML might use:
> Example: Tables And Repeating Structures

But I think that this is more dangerous than helpful. As the XForms
specification says, "repeat" is a transformation. It unrolls elements
multiple times. An XHTML user agent will happily validate and display
the element above but it will do so in a very broken way (ignoring the
whole attribute and treating the table as just a table). It would be
better to have it trigger a validation error that will twig the user
that they must run the HTML through an XForms pre-processor first. THEN
they van validate it as HTML and finally render it as HTML.

  Paul Prescod