Re: XForms 1.0: My Opinions

i tried the same direction (inventing additional attributes to steer the
label alignment) but it lead to overly complex constructs (using XSLT)
just for the label positioning. Labels for repeated sections put
additional load on the stylesheet writer (tabular versus vertical
layout) and even if CSS would be strong enough to express all this, it's
just currently not the case, that all browsers interpret it the same
way. (not to speak from palms or mobiles)

consider another solution:
         	<xforms:extension>
         		<chiba:label-copy ref-id=".8"/>
         	</xforms:extension>
	        <xforms:textarea xforms:id=".7" xforms:bind="description">
                     <xforms:label xforms:id=".8">
		    Description<br/>zweizeilig</xforms:label>
                     <xforms:alert xforms:id=".10"/>
                 </xforms:textarea>

i invented an extension element (it's a bit like xforms:copy) which
copies the result of evaluating the referenced label and tried this with
good effect. It allows me (as a form author) to render label whereever i
want them in the document and as a stylesheet-writer i have much less
work. the only thing which is left to decide is whether to use the
copies or the original label when styling for a specific platform.

any opinions about the usefullness of such an element in XForms?

another possible solution would be to relax the Schema for label,
allowing it to occur not only as a child of the control but anywhere in
the containing document by using a reference-id. this is surely a more
elegant solution, but it also weakens the 'contract' between label and
control. i'm no Schema expert so i'm not sure if in that case it's still
possible to express that every control MUST have a label.

joern