RE: xslt stylesheet for xforms to xhtml

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Dan Dennedy wrote:
> I could see how a pure xslt can handle binding to a single inline data
> instance, but it will break down when you have to deal with multiple
> models, with multiple instances, and with externally xlink-ed
> instances.

What is meant by "pure XSLT" here? I can not see how XSLT without
extensions can handle any type of XForms binding.

But all bindings can be done by using extensions.

> > From: Robert Trybis
> > Torsten wrote;
> > > this is not possible without using extensions. (you need to evaluate
> > > xpaths at runtime) it has been tried before ;-)
> >
> > Surely this is not completely correct?
> > Xforms is xml and xhtml is xml so a using xslt to translate
> > between the two should be possible should it not?

You definately need an evaluate() function. For multiple instances you
also need to be able to user define functions for the instance()
function.

> > Xforms exists because xhtml was found lacking for forms
> > processing. So it must follow that there will be some things
> > that can be defined in xforms that cannot easily be done in
> > xhtml. However if I keep my xforms simple and self-contained
> > am I not likely to be able to make a usable translation?

I guess you could make an XSLT 1.0 which just transforms an XForms UI to
an *empty* HTML form. But if you need initial data in the form you need to
bind to a model thus requiring evaluate().

kurt george gjerde <kurt.gjerde@intermedia.uib.no>
intermedia uib, university of bergen

Just say .no