Re: GET should be encouraged, not deprecated, in XForms [was: Issue request for the TAG: XForms]

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 16:04:36 -0500 (EST)
To: davec@progress.com (David E. Cleary)
Cc: paul@prescod.net (Paul Prescod), tbray@textuality.com (Tim Bray), www-forms@w3.org
> > That would satisfy me.  But note that if you do this, XForms *cannot*
> > replace HTML forms, and I'd suggest adding a *prominent* note saying so
> > to the spec.
>
> Right now XForms supports this. If the hangup is over the word Deprecate,
> maybe there is a better way to signal that that support will be removed in
> future versions of XForms.

As I see it, the XForms WG has two choices;

1) drop GET and commit to forever being tied to HTML forms to give your
users GET functionality
2) support GET forever

I think the reason we're not coming to a settlement on this quickly is
because of the architectural issue that GET and POST are very different
methods used for very separate things.

A GET FORM is a server's way of telling the client that it has a bunch
of URIs hidden away, and if you'd just fill in these form fields, I'll
list the ones that match.  A POST FORM on the other hand says "submit
these name value pairs to the specified URI for processing".  These are
very *very* different things, and a forms architecture that doesn't
support both is incomplete.

MB