Re: FORMs and GET

tvraman@almaden.ibm.com wrote:

> This is gross miscommunicatio.
> XForms depricates  HTTP GET
> --depricates means we let you use it --but advise against it.
>
> So how did this ever get interpreted as "XForms doesn't support GET"?

 * maybe I don't understand something: the spec says that the group will
remove the  "application/x-www-form-urlencoded" in a "future version of
the XForms specification". I don't understand how GET will have even
minimal utility once that happens.

 * why advise against GET? Most forms I use today use GET with good
reason! Furthermore, deprecation is usually the step taken before
removal!

 * XForms use different rules serialization rules than HTML, which will
likely prevent the forms from being compatible with existing
HTML-form-based services.

 * HTML was not perfect with respect to URL generation to start with.
XForms could do better. No matter what method the end-user is using,
they should be able to generate the target URL from the content. Not
just keyword parameters: the path part should also be under user control
also.

XForms is great in its separation of presentation and model. In addition
to allowing the user to specify the details of their XML instance format
(instead of just blindly submitting RDF or SOAP), I would suggest that
they should be able to specify every detail of the URL format (instead
of blindly submitting a new form of x-www-form-urlencoded).

 Paul Prescod