Re: Problems to interpret an attribute value as an Xpath expression

 I don't think it's possible within the spec IIRC.
Match expressions are supposed to be static and can't
be dynamically computed at runtime. Some xslt
processors may have extensions to support it however,
e.g. an 'evalxpath' extension function or a new xslt
element.

  I solved the problem by pre-processing the DOM tree.
First I resolve most xpath references, fetch the value
from the instance, and annotate the DOM node
containing the ref with the value. Then, I pick up the
value in the transformer.