RE: Heads up: comments from CSS WG on XForms *are* coming...

Here is something I have been thinking about that you might want to talk
about with the CSS WG (unless a decent solution is presented).

It would be nice to be able to have a flow, or managed layout, to form
UI elements much like HTML authors are accustomed to today. Currently,
most form designs are using hidden tables to align field captions,
hints, and alerts. It would be nice, for example, to use CSS2's table
caption-side property to specify the position of the xforms caption
element relative to its control element.

In a server-side processor that accepts xhtml+css+xforms and generates
xhtml+css, how could one make nice, neat columns of captions and
controls? Using the xhtml host document, it is still possible to put
text labels and the xforms controls inside table columns, but the
caption child element is still required.

In general, if xforms is the abstract representation of the form, how
can a designer have fine control over layout using xhtml & css
particularly when it comes to UI elements that are tightly related to
one another such as the caption and hint (and potentially alert and
help) children?

http://www.w3.org/