Re: XForms WD 20020821 - 3.2.2 What are linking attributes for?

(The other group addressed by this mail 'xforms@yahoogroups.com' doesn't
allow me to post to it, so they are not seeing my replies)

From: AndrewWatt2001@aol.com

> Line of 3.2.2 needs editing. It isn't a coherent English sentence as
written.

Thanks.

> Only one linking attribute, the src attribute, is listed but reference is
> made to "All linking attributes". Is there one linking attribute, if so
why
> refer to "all" linking attributes? Or more than one attribute?

All HTML <p> elements represent a paragraph. All XForms linking attributes
behave as an XLink link. See?

> 3.2.2 states that linking attributes correspond to XLink (presumably
simple
> type) links with actuate of "onLoad" and show of "embed". So far so good.

> Chapter 3.3 seems to indicate that the "Linking Attributes Collection" is
> used only on xforms:instance.

No, chapter 3.3 does not indicate that; nor is it true. (Go to the single
HTML file version and search for the word 'linking' and you will easily find
the others).

> So, if I have the idea correctly, then the src
> attribute allows a limited form of modularization i.e. the instance data
> structure *could* be modularized to a separate document.

If you mean "the instance could come from an external source" then you are
absolutely right, and that is exactly what what it is intended for (and some
people have been putting it to good use already, using x-smiles: for
instance it means you can edit XHTML pages using XForms by loading the page
as an instance, and binding to the bits you want to change).

> But, why not allow the src attribute on xforms:model? If that was allowed
> then a whole instance document could be embedded.

Because of the use of IDREF to reference parts of the model.

> But, if the only function of the src attribute currently proposed is to
embed
> an instance data structure

which it isn't

> - which is only allowed a single root element -
> then it follows that it is not allowed to embed two documents since that
> would break the "single root element" rule.

Well, your premise is wrong, but even if it had been right your conclusion
would still be wrong, because no one is suggesting embedding two documents.

> That being the case it seems to refute Steven Pemberton's suggestion that
it
> may be necessary to link to more than one document.

You haven't yet got it, I'm afraid. I'm wary of giving concrete examples
because I fear you would start arguing the details of the concrete example
rather than seeing it as an expression of the general problem, which is not
solvable except on a case by case basis if you adopt another approach than
ours. I suggest you re-read my earlier mail and try to understand better
what I was saying.

Best wishes,

Steven Pemberton
Co-chair, W3C Forms Working Group