RE: XForms Usefulness

From: Dan Dennedy <DDennedy@digitalbang.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 10:01:59 -0400
To: "Bob Foster" <bob@objfac.com>, <www-forms@w3.org>

> From: Bob Foster
>
> It seems obvious that xforms is not very useful (and won't
> be) until it is supported by the major browsers - the place
> where real users fill out forms.

XForms is already very useful to me. Again, I use it on the server-side
to formalize and automate my mundane web development tasks. I appreciate
the collaborative, diligent effort that went into the design and
development of the spec. So, I choose to leverage that effort and
contribute how I can for now. In working on my own processor (with only
marginal support by my employer), I have learned much and improved my
own skills.

Now, I have a very nice proof-of-concept system that uses XML end-to-end
and can enforce data integrity end-to-end using XML Schema. It presents
an interesting alternative to both myself and my employer as the
framework for our future development. Maybe it even provides a
foundation of understanding and faith in order to contribute to an
implementation in a major browser.

FYI, the current SVG implementation in Mozilla was a contributed patch
by one guy, Alexander Fritze, who extended Mozilla for his company's
product:
http://www.crocodile-clips.com/m2_1_14.htm. Why couldn't the same hold
true for XForms in Mozilla?