RE: xforms in xhtml, styled using xsl?

From: Dan Dennedy <DDennedy@digitalbang.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 10:40:22 -0400
To: <dagfinn.reiersol@opoint.com>, "Roger Perttu" <roger.perttu@easit.se>, <www-forms@w3.org>

> From: Dagfinn Reiersøl
>
> I'm no XSLT guru, but it seems to me that the basic problem
> with simply using
> XSLT is placing the values from the Xforms instance corectly
> in the HTML
> code. It seems to me a general solution would require the
> ability to generate
> and evaluate XPath expressions dynamically. Limiting yourself

Roger Perttu somewhat answered this in his most recent reply; however, it was not perhaps obvious that it addresses this issue. This is accomplished by using xslt processors that support componentized extensions ala JavaBeans or COM. The component is bound to a namespace prior to invoking the processor. Then, within XSL-T you can invoke methods passing nodesets, and the method can return some scalar value.

For example, here is one that I call in my MSXML-based processor. This comes from my xforms:input template that generates an xhtml input element:

<xsl:template match="xforms:input">
	<input value="{dbxfm:getValueByRef(@model, @ref)}" ... />
</xsl:template>

And the function prototype is (in Visual Basic):

Public Function getValueByRef(ByVal model As MSXML2.IXMLDOMNodeList, ByVal ref As MSXML2.IXMLDOMNodeList) As Variant