RE: XFoms "suspend and resume" support

Hello Stéphane,

I understand and agree with all the use cases you list. All of them are
valid, but an additional question is: WHY is it necessary in an
interoperability specification to define this behaviour? HTML does not
define a "save as" menu option, still most if not all current browsers
implement one.

One way to look at standardization is that we specify what happens at
the boundary between two systems. In the case of XForms, that is one (or
more) server sending a form to clients. Is it really necessary to
standardize a local suspend, or is it in the realm of the individual
vendor? Is it really necessary to standardize a remote suspend? Today,
XForms defines only what happens on the client - with a remote suspend
feature, we would have to touch the server, too. Is it worth it, or can
we leave this to implementors?

Whatever is saved, chances are that it is available as a well-formed XML
instance somewhere, so even loading it into a different client would
hardly be a problem. The only potential trouble is if the
state-to-be-stored does not satisfy the model constraints.

regards,

Josef