Re: xforms development questions: anyone there?

In a message dated 03/11/01 18:58:48 GMT Standard Time, jim@jbrix.org writes:

> I posted some questions on this list a while ago and received zero
> questions:
>
> Is this the wrong place to post questions about development of xforms
> implementations?
> If so, can somebody please direct me to a more appropriate place?

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the W3C list. :)

I saw your questions a few days back but didn't respond as I aspire to be an
XForms developer rather than implementor. Typically the list is very friendly
and welcoming. Perhaps the relevant people were busy, away on a trip or
whatever.

One thing that did strike me is that, from what I remember, you seemed to ask
a lot of questions in one post. I know that I tend to just ignore such posts
- I simply don't have the time to provide detailed answers (and that one
wasn't in my sphere of knowledge anyway). Maybe that was a factor too.

To the best of my knowledge there are currently only two mailing lists
focussing on XForms - the W3C list which you posted to and the XForms list on
YahooGroups.com (see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/XForms).

My guess is that both groups have only a small number of people who feel
sufficiently comfortable with the technologies to post publicly.

So you have come to the right place.

The XForms spec seems to be in transition from the August WD. Micah posted to
the W3C list a few days ago a new schema. Check the list archives to get a
copy, if you don't have one already.

You asked about more example documents. One place that is worth looking is
www.xsmiles.org. The X-Smiles browser has some XForms examples. I am busy on
a non-XForms project at present so haven't checked for a while. But the last
time I looked the examples were using an old Working Draft. But it would be
worth checking there periodically. You will need to download the X-Smiles
browser and either download the example files (the preferred route in my
view) or access them online.

If you haven't already visited www.mozquito.com and www.cardiff.com maybe you
should do so. I guess, however, there is an element of cooptetion - both
cooperation and competition.

I hope that helps a little. Hang around you might get to like it! :)

Regards

Andrew Watt