has the WG considered any of the following?

From: Ray Cromwell <ray_cromwell@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 02:48:03 -0800 (PST)
To: www-forms@w3.org

importing HTML OPTGROUP for selectOne/selectMany?
(motivation: allows user agent to collapse long list
into hierarchical view)

a <go xlink:href="..."/> action to the event handling
to permit traversing to a URI from an event handler?
(motivation: allowing transfer of focus to other parts
of a document and not just to other form controls via
setFocus, similar to WML and VoiceXML go/goto actions)
This one I find very useful, acting something like
IE/Netscape's document.href semantics.

Similar mappings for JavaScript alert() and confirm()
(or WML's Dialogs.alert()/confirm()) in the event
handler. I realize that there is an <alert> element
for that purpose, but there is no explicit way to
trigger it from an event handler.  It would be nice to
be able to write

<input ...>
<action evt:event="..">
  ..
  <alert>Now handling your event!</alert>
</action>
</input>

For confirm(), I'm thinking of something like

<input ...>
<action evt:event="...">
   <confirm switch="switchID" truecase="caseID1"
falsecase="caseID2">Are you sure you want X?</confirm>
</action>
</input>

The semantics of <confirm> would be to execute a
<toggle switch="switchID" case="caseID1"/> if the user
clicks "Yes" and <toggle switch="switchID"
case="caseID2"/> if the user clicks "No". Of course,
it would be nice to have a way to override the button
labels, perhaps with attributes or CSS properties.

-Ray