Re: One more possible hole in UI?

At 09:36 AM 3/26/2001 -0500, Berin Loritsch wrote:
<snip>

>I really don't think that transport issues such as encryption
>should be an embeddable part of the XForms spec.

While I agree that transport issues should not be part of
the spec., there are at least 2 ways that I think security has
to handled directly by XFORMs:
    1) Passwords.  Some data like passwords must have security
handling during entry ("***") and before submission (if data is
entered in to a DOM).
    2) Signatures.  A digital signature is another kind of data
the user agent needs to add into a form.

Of course my opinion begins with the idea that XFORMs describes
how data will be collected by a user agent and sent into the pipe
to a service.  Thus a digital signature should be an natural part
of XFORMs processing. Maybe that isn't quite everyone's viewpoint.
I'll be working to convince you ;-).

John.
John J. Barton          email:  John_Barton@hpl.hp.com
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/John_Barton/index.htm
MS 1U-17  Hewlett-Packard Labs
1501 Page Mill Road              phone: (650)-236-2888
Palo Alto CA  94304-1126         FAX:   (650)-857-5100