RE: x-www-form-urlencoded

From: Nic Ferrier <nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 18:24:01 +0000
To: MDubinko@cardiff.com, www-forms@w3.org
>>> Micah Dubinko <MDubinko@cardiff.com> 06-Feb-01 5:36:56 PM >>>

>The wording could no doubt be clearer, but one issue
>in our published draft is that the urlencoding specification
>is 'almost-but-not-quite' conventional urlencoding.
>The main change is that slashes are placed in the field names,
>like "/PersonName/PersonTitle=Mr"

Right... the document could make it clearer that the question is over
the extra contextual information.

>Would you consider your three arguments to apply
>even to our modified urlencoding?

I don't see any major problems with your urlencoding scheme.

>Do you forsee any compatibility problems with existing
>form processing?

Forms don't expect to see a "/" do they. But that's livable with I
feel (it won't take long to convert a script or program to handle the
contextual information).

>Would "conventional urlencoding" (as implemented in
>browsers today) be preferable?

No. The proposal made in the document pushes us forward without
breaking our legs.

It's fine.

Nic