RE: Dynamic generation of Menus in XForms

From: Dan Dennedy <DDennedy@digitalbang.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 17:06:54 -0500
To: "Eric Fu" <ericfu@etrieve.com>, <www-forms@w3.org>
From: Eric Fu
>        <item>
> 		<caption ref="mybooks/book/@title"/>    <==== (A)
> 		<value ref="mybooks/book/@isbn"/>       <==== (B)

Use <itemset> instead of <item>. Set an attribute called "nodeset" to
"mybooks/book." Doing so establishes new context so <caption
ref="@title"/> and <value ref="@isbn"/>.

The spec says not to contain <itemset> in a <choices>. Is that correct?
Why can I not have multiple <choices> where each group uses <itemset> to
build the items????

> Also, does the spec incorporate something like a "Menu"? It's
> similar to a
> "selectOne" except it shows as a Menu on the UI instead of a
> radio button
> group.

A client processor can render it any way it wants. Obviously, some
things make more sense. A "smart" client rendering  selectOne might use
radio buttons if there are fewer than, say, 5 items.  If there is 5 or
more, then it might choose to use a "menu." However, there is a new
optional attribute called "selectUI" that, from the spec:
   selectUI = ("radio" | "checkbox" | "menu" | "listbox")

However, theoretically, it is possible, that a client could use
something like pie menus for selectOne! (http://www.piemenus.com/)

+-DRD-+