From: Hiroshi Iwasaki [mailto:Iwasaki_Hiroshi@mse.mei.co.jp]
Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2001 5:41 PM
To: www-forms@w3.org
Subject: Question about open enumeration

Hi all xformers;

I have a question about open enumeration.
An example of schema syntax declaring an open enumeration
is given in 5.4.3 Open Enumeration as follows:

<xsd:simpleType>
  <xsd:union memberTypes="xsd:string">
    <xsd:simpleType>
      <xsd:restriction base="xsd:string">
        <xsd:enumeration value="Mastercard"/>
        <xsd:enumeration value="Diner's Club"/>
        <xsd:enumeration value="American Express"/>
      </xsd:restriction>
    </xsd:simpleType>
  </xsd:union>
</xsd:simpleType>

But I don't think this gives us any space to specify other choice.
In order to allow us to specify other choice, I think we need additional
three lienes as follows:

<xsd:simpleType>
  <xsd:union memberTypes="xsd:string">
    <xsd:simpleType>
      <xsd:restriction base="xsd:string">
        <xsd:enumeration value="Mastercard"/>
        <xsd:enumeration value="Diner's Club"/>
        <xsd:enumeration value="American Express"/>
      </xsd:restriction>
    </xsd:simpleType>
<!-- following three lines make this an open enumeration -->
    <xsd:simpleType>
        <xsd:restriction base="xsd:string"/>
    </xsd:simpleType>
  </xsd:union>