Re: Definition confusion - XForms Model

From: Tim Anstee <tanstee@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 10:06:17 +0100 (BST)
To: www-forms@w3.org
Thanks Srini,

That sort of helps out, but I still am a little confused about the
distiction between the xform:model element and the XForms Model.

Take the new specification (28th of August 2001) for example. I have
assumed that everything in section 2.7 which is inside the node
<xform:xform> is part of the XForms Model.  If this is so, what is the
<xform:model> node for?  The name suggests that everything inside that
should be the model, but other documentation suggests otherwise.  There
doesn't seem to be any explanation of the <xform:model> nodes purpose in
the specification.  I assume it is the schema for the instance data (as
hinted in your email snippets below), but it doesn't seem to be mentioned.
 Have I missed something?  Is the node innapropriately named?

I held out on sending this email until the new specification was released,
but it doesn't help any.

Thanks,
Tim.

 --- Srinivas ponnada <sponnada@baan.com> wrote: > Hello
Concerned-persons,

> Here in Baan, we are a small group of user interface enthusiasts,
> following XForms evolution since inception.
> We felt that the term "XForms Model" is causing some confusion.
> To try to get some more clarity on "What XForm Model means", we
> went through the XForm discussion forum also. Snippets of
> sources of information and light they throw on
> "meaning of XForms model" has also been attached.
>
> Why the Confusion:
>
> Source 1:
> Though it says XForms model is a "...XML form DEFINITION", the syntax
> of XForms model is more of related to defining data types of data
> elements in the form + ... (XML schema...)
>
> The phrase "form definition" looks odd w.r.t data type defs. et.al,
> because when we talk of form definition, we usually talk of UI widgets
> also ("we" refers to lay technical person...). So, we felt that the def.
> "single device-independent XML form DATA MODEL" is more appropriate
> for XForms Model.
>
> Maybe, the statement that "document structure of a XForm gives
> a XML form definition" seems more appropriate.
>
> In fact, Source 2 provides more clear meaning - "provide run-time
> input validation to the user". We were wondering why this KIND OF
> definition has not gone into the actual docs.
>
> NOTE: We know that W3C specs. are not written for all kinds of
> users, but most of us use them as the ONLY source of
> info. + knowledge.
> A clarification/ clarity will be veru helpful.
>
> -srini
>

> |=============1===============|
>
> SOURCE:::
> http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/
>
> CONTENT:::
> - single device-independent XML form definition, called the XForms
> Model.
> - Among other duties, the XForms Model describes the structure of the
> instance data
>
> |=============2===============|
>
> SOURCE:::
> Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 19:04:46 +0200
> From: "Josef Dietl" <josef@mozquito.com>
>
> CONTENT:::
> Let us keep in mind that the goal of the model is to provide run-time
> input validation to the user

> SOURCE:::
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-xforms-20010828/
>
> CONTENT:::
> Definition: The non-visible definition of an XML form as specified by
> XForms

=====
Regards,
Tim Anstee