Re: Using XSL-T to convert XForm to HTML: Impossible?

From: Schulze, Matthias <schulze@dresden-informatik.de>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 17:19:46 +0200
To: "'www-forms@w3.org'" <www-forms@w3.org>
> I've just been studying the XForm data model with a view to writing a
general
> XSL-T transform to convert an XForm for delivery on legacy HTML devices,
and
> I come to the conclusion that the separation of model and instance data
makes
> this impossible. I cannot, in a single transformation, create a
pre-populated
> HTML form from an XForm document.

I've also spent some thoughts about XForms -> HTML transformation. Basicly
I believe that the mere transformation _can_ be done by XSLT. But if you
want
the resulting HTML to validate the user-input against the model (e.g. the
min/max constraints), you'll have to use scripts and event handlers to do
so.
This requires quite heavy XSLT and sooner or later you'll end up with a
XForms client implementation!

However, I don't think that a complete transformation will generally be
possible
by means of HTML 4 plus Javascript 1.2.
E.g. if you consider requirements like 3.7 (expandable form control groups)
or
3.9 (saving and resuming), you'll have to rely on DOM support like in IE and

special server-side facilities.

M.