AW: Using XSL-T to convert XForm to HTML: Impossible?

Hello Simon,

I'm glad to hear this type of input because it helps make XForms a
better specification. Let me recap what you are saying, just to make
sure I understand you correctly:
You say that the separation of model and instance makes it impossible to
create a pre-populated HTML form from an XForm document in one XSL-T
transformation. Right?

Generally speaking, that's not as it should be. As far as I can tell, it
really is a difficulty related to the mere _concept_ of separation of
model and instance. You not doubting the usefulness of this separation
raises the question: Is it a design bug in XForm or a weakness in XSL-T?
Given the history of XSL-T (originally a presentational language, in
tandem with XSL-FO), it looks like a bad choice for the task at hand.
Admittedly there's not much choice around.

So, I'd rather adress the need for a more powerful transformation
language than change the design of XForm. What do you think?

Josef Dietl
--
Chief Scientist
Mozquito Technologies -- http://www.mozquito.com