Re: Using XSL-T to convert XForm to HTML: Impossible?

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, you wrote:
> I did it. I added an "href" attribute for tags called "model" and
> "instance" so you can set an XFrom instance from any external document.
>
> Another way is using a stylesheet to melt model and instance and then
> applying a generic stylesheet to build final HTML. This is what I do in
> most cases, using the Apache Cocoon engine to run the XSLT Processor
> several times.

But if the forms contain real data which is changing with each service (as
real data almost inevitably does) you cannot cache anything and your
transform process must be run for every service. If you are daisy chaining
several transforms (particularly if you are reparsing at each step of the
daisy chain) the overhead becomes huge and the response time to the user
unacceptably poor.

I've done a lot of work over the last few months on improving the performance
of dynamically generated pages transformed with XSL-T transforms, and I know
the performance hit.

Having said all that, I would be extremely interested in seeing your
transform!

Cheers

Simon

--
Simon Brooke, Technical Director, Weft Technology Ltd --
http://www.weft.co.uk/

	the weft is not just what binds the web: it is what makes it a web