Re: XForms & internationalisation

From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 11:50:04 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)
To: Maurice <maurice@greenwood.co.nz>
cc: www-forms@w3.org
On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Maurice wrote:

> <value> enumerations and defaults in the XForms model are mixing
> data structure/type with actual displayed data. It makes
> internationalisation more difficult. If a model contains such
> data, then we have to translate it into all languages that we
> want to support. I don't have a problem with <value> and
> <default> if the value is actually a _key_ for a separate locale
> specific resource. We only have to translate the resource and
> leave the model as it is.
>
> <model>
>    <group name="salutionTitle">
>      <value key="t1"/>
>      <value key="t2"/>
> </model
> <resource>
>   <string key="t1">Mr</string>
>   <string key="t2">Mrs</string>
> </resource>
> <instance>
> </instance>
>
> regards
> -Maurice

You are right about this. The enumerated values in the datamodel
can't be relied on for display purposes, which is why the user
interface needs to provide the corresponding display values.

It might be worth allowing the user interface to use the internal
values in some circumstances, e.g. when the form designer is
English and the form needs to be displayed in English. But this
wouldn't be appropriate when the form needs to be displayed in
a different language, say Spanish.

Regards,

tel/fax: +44 122 578 3011 (or 2521) +44 778 532 0444 (mobile)