Data Model: Date and Time

From: Steffen Goeldner <sgoeldner@eurodata.de>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 14:49:05 +0200
To: www-forms@w3.org
Hi,

I cannot agree with the separation of 'Date ' and 'Time of Day'!
'Time of Day' is left truncated and only useful for
the specification of a recurring event. XML-Schema
is much clearer about that and named it 'recurringInstant'.
It's very easy to incoporate the time part into the
'Date' datatype: a simple merge of the values of the facet
'precision'.
Moreover, the separation of the types is difficult to handle
if you use they in expressions like 'above' or 'below'.

I can advice an excellent paper about time and granularity
(precision):

 Efficiently Supporting Temporal Granularities
 Curtis E. Dyreson, William S. Evans, Hong Lin, Richard T. Snodgrass
 September 3, 1998
 TR-31
 A TIMECENTER Technical Report

Steffen Goeldner