RE: Save/Persisting form data

From: Neil Walker <neil.walker@mrc-bsu.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 18:02:13 +0100 (BST)
To: neil.walker@mrc-bsu.cam.ac.uk, www-forms@w3.org, RMcDouga@JetForm.com
I had briefly mentioned indexes, and Rob McDougall replied:

> I'm afraid I'm not sure what part of the document you are referring to.
> Could you give me a section.subsection reference so that I can understand
> the context of this concern?

I couldn't find it: that's why I mentioned it!  And as this is a data
model issue ...

As someone who works on many long but uncomplicated forms, I would like
it to be possible (but obviously not required) that the definition of
the data model for a form is synonymous with defining the structure of
a receiving database.  To which end a few other facets would be
required, such as "part of unique key", and "not to be shown, just
defined".  For me, this would mean I could handle the database,
interface, CGI script in one go - it'd all be in the form.

"Part of unique key" becomes more generally useful in multi-page forms
and edits to existing data, where you might want to prevent re-editing
of the unique key once a database record has been established.

But perhaps this is not seen as part of XForms?

Yours
Neil
Neil Walker                     tel:   +44 (0) 1223 330379
MRC Biostatistics Unit          fax:   +44 (0) 1223 330388
Cambridge, UK                   email: neil.walker@mrc-bsu.cam.ac.uk
                                web:   http://www.mrc-bsu.cam.ac.uk