RE: Your Work

From: Robert Fox <robertf@softshare.com>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 07:48:23 -0700
To: "'Rob Williams'" <robwms63@yahoo.com>, "'www-forms@w3.org'" <www-forms@w3.org>
Well... currently I have "solved" it procedurally, but basically, I have a
concept of a Control, and a Group, a Group can contain other Groups, or
Controls. The key here is that EVERY Group or Control has an attribute named
"id", and that "id" must be unique. Then, the XSLT that produces that HTML
form actually sets the "name" attribute of the <INPUT> block = to the "id"
of the Control being displayed, for example, here is the XSLT for an EDIT

		<xsl:when test=".[@type = 'edit']">
			<xsl:value-of select="@caption"/>
				<xsl:attribute name="name"><xsl:value-of
				<xsl:attribute name="size"><xsl:value-of
name="maxlength"><xsl:value-of select="@maxlen"/></xsl:attribute>
				<xsl:attribute name="value"><xsl:value-of

When the form is POSTED, I do the following:
1) Save all "id"/"value" pairs into a map
2) Do an XPATH query on the DOM looking for all elements named "Control"
3) If the "id" for the current element is in the map, I update the "value"
attribute of the element (all "id"s appear in the map with the exception of
static controls, which contribute nothing to a form post event).
4) Write out the XML. We are now update and ready for re-editing.

I also assign IDs to Groups, to allow the user the ability to dynamically
add/remove groups of controls...

Robert Fox
Program Manager
EM: robertf@softshare.com