Re: XForms not enough

From: John Ky <hand@syd.speednet.com.au>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 20:50:41 +1000
To: <www-forms@w3.org>
> Is this a political question?  I think perceptions of what "the web
> absolutely needs" rather depends on what you do for a living, and
> how you use the web.  Are the majority of web developers "tired
> of the sort of mediocre technology that we have to work with on
> the web"?  At this point some 60% of all webservers are using
> Apache, which suggests there are probably rather a lot of
> non-professional-web-designers making and running websites, not
> all of which are valueless.  Should they be squeezed out?

I use Apache - that doesn't mean anything.  There is nothing
unsophisticated about an Apache web server.  But yes, there
would be a gret many non-professional web designers.

I am sure, however, that there are ways of providing syntactical
sugar to make these designers happy if support for componentisation
was available.  I would really like to see some form of HTML
componentisation so that a simplified HTML-like XForms tag
library can built from a more powerful XForms implementation.

Whatever happened to Microsoft's HTML Component's and
Netscape's XBL proposal?

-John