RE: pictures

Joe,

A variation of this capability shows up in the XForms working draft [1] as
'mask' and 'pattern' facets on the string type.

A declarative way for describing how data/fields exhibit input masking and
output formatting is the subject of ongoing work.

Mask, Pattern, Picture...they're all variations on a theme.

Regards,

Gavin.