model root element

From: Joe Hewitt <joe@joehewitt.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 17:47:09 -0400
To: <www-forms@w3.org>
I'm a bit puzzled by the structure of the <model> element.  My primary
question is, must this model, and the subsequent instance document, be a
valid XML document, or simply a fragment?

In essence, what I am asking is, must the <model> element only have one
child, which would be the documentElement of the resulting document?  Or, it
is legal for <model> to have multiple children, thus making the resulting
instance a fragment, and not a valid document itself?

I would hope that this would be illegal:

<model>
	<group name="purchaseOrder">
	</group>
	<group name="contactInfo">