Re: [Moderator Action] Decimal arithmatic

From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 09:43:19 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)
To: Curt Arnold <carnold@houston.rr.com>
cc: www-forms@w3.org
On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Curt Arnold wrote:

> I agree that "decimal" datatypes better meet users expectations.
> However, there still needs to be a mechanism to allow numeric
> fields that cover the full range of IEEE double and allow an
> exponential format.
>
> If arbitrary precision and range numeric types are not
> appropriate, perhaps a hybrid where floating point (or some
> augmented decimal type) was used when numbers were outside of
> decimals range.

The use of decimal arithmetic is orthogonal to whether or not
a number has an exponent.  I quote from Appendix C of the draft
XForms data model:

  In practice, the 'default' decimal precision (9 digits) can be
  very efficiently implemented using 32-bit integers for mantissa
  and exponent. This implementation would be especially attractive
  on 'small' devices.

Regards,

tel/fax: +44 122 578 3011 (or 2521) +44 385 320 444 (mobile)