Re: comment on description xf:dispatch in XForms 1.1

From: C. M. Sperberg-McQueen <cmsmcq@blackmesatech.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 11:34:14 -0600
Cc: "C. M. Sperberg-McQueen" <cmsmcq@blackmesatech.com>, "www-forms-editor@w3.org" <www-forms-editor@w3.org>
To: Nick Van den Bleeken <Nick.Van.den.Bleeken@inventivegroup.com>

On Jul 31, 2012, at 11:11 AM, Nick Van den Bleeken wrote:

> Maybe Steven's 'XForms for HTML authors' [1] is a better place to add some in depth examples of XML-events ? What do you think?
>
> Nick
>
> 1: http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/2010/xforms11-for-html-authors/

Examples are good.  So if Steven has the time and energy,
I can only wish him Godspeed, and I look forward to looking
at what he comes up with.

But I do think the spec can and should be made clearer and easier to
follow, so I don't think adding examples to Steven's tutorial is a
substitute for revising the spec.

I recognize that opinions may vary as to when a change makes
something clearer and when not, so such revisions can be tricky.
I also recognize that the spec is not intended as a tutorial, and
I don't propose that it should be made into one.  And I also
recognize that it is widely believed in working groups that "nobody
actually reads the spec anyway, so it doesn't matter if it's hard to
read".  I think there are not many readers for spec prose, but
for what it's worth, I do read specs, and am thus a counterexample
to that belief -- to make the belief empirically tenable, you would
have to rephrase it as "nobody worth bothering about reads the
spec".

in sum, I will not be surprised if the WG feels a certain reluctance
to agree with my suggestion that the spec be revised here.  But
it says here that I nonetheless think the spec should be revised
on this point.

* http://www.blackmesatech.com
* http://cmsmcq.com/mib
* http://balisage.net