XForms 1.1 delete processing - proposed editorial clarification & proposed namespace node immutability statement

From: Vlad Trakhtenberg <vladt@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 19:54:16 -0800
To: www-forms@w3.org, www-forms-editor@w3.org
Hi all,

I noticed that in the description of the delete action processing :
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/specs/XForms1.1/index-all.html#action-delete
in step 4 the deletion of the root [document] node itself is not
explicitly 'prohibited' (or rather ignored), while the deletion of the
'root document element' of an instance is.
I also think, that the similar but perhaps wider clarification statement
is required with regard to namespace nodes. The spec is explicit in
adopting the XPath data model, as such some XPath expressions over the
instance data can easily produce namespace nodes which do not have a full
DOM underpinning behind them, which, in turn, makes them [arguably]
'immutable'.
I would like to propose to the working group (if it agrees with my point)
to add a general statement to the spec to that effect, or at least
explicitly mention them in delete, insert, setvalue, etc. actions as not
fitting the bill.

Regards,
Vlad Trakhtenberg.
IBM, Victoria Lab.